Intro

I'm a 33 years old guy based in London, UK and on 23rd April 2015 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I'll never know how I got it, it’s probably too expensive to find an exact answer. I'll spare you all the details about the problems I had with the NHS and that I had to go private etc etc, will leave that for another post maybe, and I'll get straight to the point.

Why this blog? Simple. Because when I looked around for information about Ulcerative Colitis, I did find lots of useful and informative sites, but not many blog-like sites, so somewhere I could read the experience of one person, see how the illness evolves. So after a bit of a mental debate with myself, I decided that it was a good idea to put everything on the net, who knows, somebody might benefit from this information. I'll try to post an update every week.

I'm not a physician, and therefore I'm not here to offer advices to anybody: this is merely a sequence of events and a description of the symptoms and the course of my illness, that's all, it's not gospel.

Find out more information about me and my symptoms here.

Sunday 14 June 2015

Another week

Not many significant changes to report for the past week. The mucus-blood-pus combination has been on and off - more on than off I'm afraid - and it seems to me that even red meat might not agree that much with my intestine (I had a rib eye steak on Friday and Saturday I noticed some visible yellowish mucus in my stools). But today, for the second time in this week I had no visible mucus or blood in my stools, yay! Let's see how long that lasts.

The small, hard, pea-size swollen gland just below the jaw line is shrinking, but I have no idea what it is.

The extra intestinal symptoms are pretty much the same as last week, in the sense that they are still noticeable every now and then - I wouldn't say improving that much as every now and then I still have that funny tingling tired feeling in my legs. Interestingly enough, I noticed that my legs tend to feel strange after a bowel movement. No idea what that means.

On Friday I went to my GP as I was running out of Pentasa and I told him what has happened in the last month with regards to symptoms. He said that he doesn't believe I need enemas (phew!) but he prescribed me another 120 sachets of Pentasa, here they are, ready to be opened:

In fairness I only need 60 sachets till I see the consultant in early July, but it's better to have a spare box for the future, as it looks like I'll be on mesalazine for a very long time.

I also asked him about this VSL#3 probiotic, and I told him what I found about it. He said that yes, there is some limited evidence that it could do something good, but you never know with these thing. Eventually he said that it might be worth trying. Unfortunately I couldn't get it on the NHS, because, my GP said, probiotics aren't medications as such. That said, I'm sure I read somewhere that a few people managed to get a prescription for it: obviously now I can't find where, sorry.

So, I ordered it from here http://www.vsl3.co.uk/, two boxes of 10 sachets each for a total of £38 (yes I know it's a lot of money but I really want to give this a go and I will probably buy another 2 boxes in a few weeks time.) They should arrive in the next few days and we'll see what happens.

That's it for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment