Intro

I'm a 33 years old guy based in London, UK and on 23rd April 2015 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I'll never know how I got it, it’s probably too expensive to find an exact answer. I'll spare you all the details about the problems I had with the NHS and that I had to go private etc etc, will leave that for another post maybe, and I'll get straight to the point.

Why this blog? Simple. Because when I looked around for information about Ulcerative Colitis, I did find lots of useful and informative sites, but not many blog-like sites, so somewhere I could read the experience of one person, see how the illness evolves. So after a bit of a mental debate with myself, I decided that it was a good idea to put everything on the net, who knows, somebody might benefit from this information. I'll try to post an update every week.

I'm not a physician, and therefore I'm not here to offer advices to anybody: this is merely a sequence of events and a description of the symptoms and the course of my illness, that's all, it's not gospel.

Find out more information about me and my symptoms here.

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Are we getting there?

I've been a bit late in posting this unfortunately, as I had very little time.

So I'm almost at my 10th week of mesalazine 4g a day. This week I've seen mucus only once in my stools, so I felt quite adventurous and ate half a slice of cream and chocolate cake. Result: no mucus and no blood the day after (today), so I'm assuming there won't be any even tomorrow.. However this week I've noticed that some of the extra intestinal symptoms are coming back, like mouth ulcers, and that's not a good sign I don't think. Also - and that has happens once only - my joints begun to hurt: I just hope this doesn't mean it's flaring up again. I occasionally still feel tired, although it seems more frequent the day after the gym (I know somebody might think that it's normal, and it is, but it's not the kind of tiredness you usually feel after the gym, it's that strange feeling in my legs and sometimes in arms as well) so no much change in that respect. My stools are still greasy though, so no change there either.

I'm on my 8th day of VSL#3 by the way, and even if I know it is still too early to say, I don't think I've seen any sign of improvements due to the probiotics. I occasionally feel bloated though, that's all I can say, and it almost feel that my GERD doesn't like those priobiotics. I'll keep taking though, and I'll probably order another few boxes.

This week I have to prepare a sheet with all the changes in the last two months as I'm seeing the consultant next week: I really need to clarify with him whether I'm on remission or not, as I'm not capable of determining this on my own and what will be the future strategy to follow (should I come off mesalazine or not?)

That's it for this week, sorry only a brief update. And I don't feel I'm really getting anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment