Intro

I'm a 33 years old guy based in London, UK and on 23rd April 2015 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I'll never know how I got it, it’s probably too expensive to find an exact answer. I'll spare you all the details about the problems I had with the NHS and that I had to go private etc etc, will leave that for another post maybe, and I'll get straight to the point.

Why this blog? Simple. Because when I looked around for information about Ulcerative Colitis, I did find lots of useful and informative sites, but not many blog-like sites, so somewhere I could read the experience of one person, see how the illness evolves. So after a bit of a mental debate with myself, I decided that it was a good idea to put everything on the net, who knows, somebody might benefit from this information. I'll try to post an update every week.

I'm not a physician, and therefore I'm not here to offer advices to anybody: this is merely a sequence of events and a description of the symptoms and the course of my illness, that's all, it's not gospel.

Find out more information about me and my symptoms here.

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Holding on

Right, this week I've received the results of the biopsy done the 9th of July and it basically say that there is “no evidence of active IBD”, which is great of course, but there are some changes in my colon I seem to understand. Here it is:

I'm a bit worried about this change, I don't know what that means, and as soon as I see my GP I'll ask, because this wasn't there when I had the colonoscopy.

In any case, this week has been, let's say, somewhat “different”. Of course I'm still taking 2g Mesalazine every day, but I had to change my diet quite a bit as I attended a wedding. Needless to say, mindful of the experience of other people I talked to, I have tried to be a good boy and restrained myself (I haven't drunk a drop of alcohol, and incidentally I haven't drunk since about January), but there was plenty of other delicious things I couldn't possibly resist, like cheese, parma ham, cream cake, sweets, red meat etc. And that's just the wedding day, in the space of about 3 days I've been eating plenty of cheese and meat. So, how did it go? Pretty well I think, I had a few episodes of mucus in my stools, but, all in all, much better than I could have possibly expected, I think it is still pretty good – except for the fact that I've picked up a nasty cold.

Now all this is important I think, because iy means that slowly I can start again enjoying things that I had to give up. Of course I shouldn't be inconsiderate, but I know that I can push a little, so happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment