Intro

I'm a 33 years old guy based in London, UK and on 23rd April 2015 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I'll never know how I got it, it’s probably too expensive to find an exact answer. I'll spare you all the details about the problems I had with the NHS and that I had to go private etc etc, will leave that for another post maybe, and I'll get straight to the point.

Why this blog? Simple. Because when I looked around for information about Ulcerative Colitis, I did find lots of useful and informative sites, but not many blog-like sites, so somewhere I could read the experience of one person, see how the illness evolves. So after a bit of a mental debate with myself, I decided that it was a good idea to put everything on the net, who knows, somebody might benefit from this information. I'll try to post an update every week.

I'm not a physician, and therefore I'm not here to offer advices to anybody: this is merely a sequence of events and a description of the symptoms and the course of my illness, that's all, it's not gospel.

Find out more information about me and my symptoms here.

Tuesday 28 July 2015

No news

OK, so last week I went to my GP because my consultant said I need some blood test to check whether it is still OK for me to keep taking mesalazine (I'm on the 18th day of 2g of Mesalazine) and I should have the blood test some time next week.

He said to continue to take it (2g) as indicated by the consultant until I see him again, in about 6 months time.

Things seem to be improving slightly compared to last week. I do feel generally better (although I picked up a very nasty sore throat), I don't recall being tired this week, didn't have that strange feeling at the back of my legs or eyes. My stools are largely OK too, even thought occasionally I can still see the mucus, especially after eating dairy products. Now, about this, I have to say that I eat small amount of parmesan on a regular basis, and that is OK, but when I top it up with extra cheese like mozzarella on the pizza or halloumi cheese, then rest assure that the day after I'll see some mucus. Luckily I haven't seen any blood.

Tomorrow it's my last day of VSL#3: I decided to stop because I have no idea whether it's doing anything positive or not: as said before, maybe it helps, but I have no definitive proof, and to be honest it's costing me quite a lot of money. I was thinking, as before, to replace that with yoghurt but since dairy stuff doesn't seem to agree with me I'm a bit worried.

There is only one thing that is bothering me: occasionally I feel a lightly uncomfortable feeling in my lower back, both sides and sometimes one: now, I doubt it's the colitis because I remember really well the feeling (dull pain on both sides) whereas this feels different, it's not dull, it occurs every now and then. I guess I will know more after the blood test, hopefully it's nothing.

I'm still staying away from really fatty food, cakes and biscuits, but I started to miss them. This weekend I'm going to a wedding, which means eating stuff that I probably haven't eaten for a long time: it will be a good test. I don't think I'll feel brave enough to drink any alcohol though, still too early for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment